- Start with a great business.
- Plan how your new or existing website will convince people to use your business instead of your competition – you need a website that works or it’s all a waste of time.
- Google’s search engine is a popularity contest – popularity is the strongest ranking factor.
- Popularity is determined by the populace! Your site should focus on the people that use it – make them happy by making it easy and pleasurable for them to achieve their goals.
- SEO = Search Engine Optimisation = Making changes to your site and other sites so that your pages appear higher up the lists of search results.
- Searches are still mostly based on keywords in 2017.
Keyword = a single word or a multi-word phrase.
- Most sites have lots of associated keywords, probably more than you realise.
A quick example – say you own a pet shop, you may just attempt to rank for ‘pet shop’, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. People will also be searching for ‘puppies’, ‘cute puppies’, ‘pug puppies’, ‘puppy food shop’, and maybe ‘cheap black hawk large breed puppy formula’ etc. And then there are the cats and birds and fish!
- Google lists pages or images or videos, not sites.
SEO is performed on individual items – each of your pages and posts and images etc. should be optimised individually, either for one keyword or multiple keywords.
It may be best to create some new pages or change the hierarchy of your site, but don’t forget your visitors or your business goals.
- Keyword research is required to find keywords worth optimising for – keywords that are relevant to your business goals, that aren’t prohibitively competitive, and that have sufficient potential customers actually searching for them.
Keyword research is often time consuming and expensive.
- Once we have some keywords to target there are many ways to try to improve rankings, but don’t forget your visitors or your business goals!
- Lots of keywords x lots of pages x lots of options = lots of decisions to make.
These decisions will usually affect your business so you should be involved.
- Don’t forget advertising, it may be the prudent path.
- Building brand awareness is as important as putting effort into SEO.
I can help with the research, the decisions, and the implementation.